APPOINTED: Named Coaching Assistant of the Toronto Blue Jays on Nov. 10, 2010...Named Third Base Coach on Nov. 26, 2012.
PERSONAL: Luis Antonio Rivera... Graduated from Luis Munoz Iglesias in Puerto Rico in 1981... Played Little League in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico... Signed by the Montreal Expos on Sept. 22, 1981.
• Played parts of 11 seasons and 781 games in the Major Leagues from 1986-98 with Montreal, Boston, New York-NL, Houston & Kansas City... Recorded his finest big league season in 1992 with the Red Sox when he hit .258 (107-414) with 22 2B, 3 3B, 8 HR & 40 RBI in 129 games... He compiled a Major League career average of .233 (516-2215), with 28 HR & 209 RBI in 781 games... Played professionally for 18 seasons from 1981-98.
COACHING & MANAGING CAREER:
• Spent six seasons from 2000-05 coaching and managing in the Cleveland Indians Player Development system... Managed the Kinston (A) Indians to a record of 76-64 (.543) in 2005, guiding the club to the finals of the Carolina League Championship Series... Managed Lake County (A) Captains in 2003-04, winning South Atlantic League Manager of the Year honours in 2003 after the Captains compiled a minor league-best record of 97-43 (.693)... In his three seasons as Manager at Kinston and Lake County his teams posted a record of 246-173 (.587) leading his teams to the playoffs in two of the three years... Was also a coach at Kinston for three seasons from 2000-02.
• Joined the Blue Jays organization after four seasons as the Cleveland Indians Infield and First Base Coach after being named to the post on Nov. 3, 2005.
• Managed in his first season with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (AA) leading them to their first post-season berth since 2004 finishing second in the Eastern Division…Lost in the first round of the playoffs to Trenton 3-0.
• Made his debut as a Blue Jays Coach in 2011 as a Coaching Assistant and spent two seasons in that capacity.