Gene Lamont - Bench Coach #22
Detroit's first-round selection in the June 1965 draft, the 2015 season will mark his third season as the Tigers bench coach, second under manager Brad Ausmus...he originally joined the Tigers coaching staff as Jim Leyland's third base coach on october 11, 2005...the 2015 season marks his 51st in professional baseball.
• Managed Triple A scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the Philadelphia Phillies organization during the 2005 season.
• spent four seasons as the third base coach with the Boston red sox (2001) and Houston Astros (2002-04)...served as the third base coach for seven seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates in two separate stints (1986-91, 1996).
• Managed for eight seasons at the major league level with the Chicago White sox (1992-95) and Pirates (1997-2000)... guided the White sox to the American League West Division title in 1993 to win the league's manager of the year award.
• Prior to joining Jim Leyland's coaching staff in Pittsburgh in 1986, he spent eight seasons (1978-85) as a manager in the Kansas City royals organization.
• He played 13 seasons as a professional (1965-77), all but the 1973 season (Atlanta Braves organization) in the Tigers organization, after being Detroit's first-round selection in 1965...saw action at the major league level with the Tigers during five seasons (1970-72, 1974-75).
• Attended Northern Illinois university and Western Illinois university
• Participated in Tigers Winter Caravan, actively participates in Detroit Tigers Autographed Memorabilia Donation and Tigers Dreams Come True programs and attended Keeping Kids in the game.
• He and his wife, Melody, reside in sarasota, FL during the off-season...the couple has two children, Melissa (8/26/82) and Wade (6/25/84)...Wade was selected by the Tigers in the 29th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.