09/26/2013 12:18 PM ET
Most popular MLB jerseys list dominated by youth, postseason contenders
Players from nine different teams in top 10; 16 of top 20 age 30 or younger
With the MLB postseason fast approaching, the current list of most popular MLB jerseys is filled with young stars and players fighting to help their teams reach the postseason. However, sitting atop the list is retiring Yankees closer Mariano Rivera. Following Rivera on the list, released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, are young stars Matt Harvey of the New York Mets, Yasiel Puig of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Manny Machado of the Baltimore Orioles and Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants.
The list is based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLB.com/Shop, the official online shop of Major League Baseball, since the All-Star break.
Young stars dominate the list, as the top 20 features 16 players age 30 or younger, including five -- Harvey, Puig, Machado, Mike Trout and Bryce Harper -- age 24 or younger. Three players having breakout seasons -- Yoenis Cespedes of the Oakland Athletics, Chris Davis of the Baltimore Orioles and Paul Goldschmidt of the Arizona Diamondbacks -- cracked the top 20 for the first time.
Players representing 13 different clubs make up the top 20 (including nine different clubs in the top 10), with only the Dodgers (Puig, Clayton Kershaw and Hyun-Jin Ryu) and the Yankees (Rivera, Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano) having as many as three players on the list. The top 20 includes 16 players who were All-Stars this year, nine infielders, five outfielders, four pitchers and two catchers.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys - Second Half
Based on sales on MLB.com/Shop of Majestic jerseys since the 2013 All-Star break
1. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
2. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
3. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
4. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
5. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
6. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
7. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
8. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
9. Yoenis Cespedes, Oakland Athletics
10. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
11. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
12. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
13. David Wright, New York Mets
14. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
15. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
16. Chris Davis, Baltimore Orioles
17. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
18. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
19. Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
20. Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona Diamondbacks