07/11/2013 1:06 PM ET
Most popular MLB jerseys list dominated by youth, All-Stars
Posey tops list of sales from MLB.com/Shop; Harvey, Harper, Machado, Trout, Puig crack top 10
With the 84th MLB All-Star Game just days away, the current list of most popular MLB jerseys is dominated by All-Stars while reflecting the new crop of young stars making headlines this season. Reigning NL MVP Buster Posey of the 2012 World Series champion San Francisco Giants tops the list, released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association. Yankees closer Mariano Rivera and Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina round out the top three.
The list is based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLB.com/Shop, the official online shop of Major League Baseball, since the start of the 2013 regular season.
Young stars dominate the list, as the top 20 features 18 players age 30 or younger (average age is 27.6) and five -- Bryce Harper, Matt Harvey, Manny Machado, Yasiel Puig, and Mike Trout -- under 24, with only Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera over the age of 30. Puig made the top 10 despite not joining the Dodgers until June 3.
Overall, 14 players in the top 20 are All-Stars this year. Players representing 12 different clubs make up the top 20, led by the Dodgers with four players (Puig, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw). The top 20 also includes six pitchers, the most since these lists began being released in 2011.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys - Season to Date
Based on sales on MLB.com/Shop of Majestic jerseys since the start of the 2013 regular season
1. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
2. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
3. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
4. David Wright, New York Mets
5. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
6. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
7. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
8. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
9. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
10. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
11. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
13. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
14. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
15. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Sergio Romo, San Francisco Giants
17. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
18. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
19. Pablo Sandoval, San Francisco Giants
20. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers