9/2/2014 7:05 P.M. ET
Lawrie will miss rest of season with oblique strain
Blue Jays infielder played in 70 games, his fewest since rookie campaign in '11
By Gregor Chisholm / MLB.com
ST. PETERSBURG -- Brett Lawrie has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2014 season because of a strained oblique muscle.
Toronto placed Lawrie on the 60-day disabled list on Tuesday afternoon as part of a series of roster moves to accommodate September callups. There had been some initial doubt about whether Lawrie could return this year, but the transaction made it official that he won't.
Lawrie sustained the injury on Aug. 5 after returning from a six-week absence with a fractured right index finger. He played three innings before he was removed with the oblique issue that popped up during batting practice.
"He won't be coming back," manager John Gibbons said. "There's just not enough time. Where he's at, trying to build up ... he's not ready. He admitted that, but he doesn't like being inactive, that's for sure."
It's a bitter end to what had been a frustrating season for Lawrie. He struggled with the bat coming out of Spring Training and while there were signs of a turnaround, his overall health didn't comply.
Lawrie played in 70 games, which is his fewest number since he was promoted as a rookie midway through the 2011 season. The native of Langley, British Columbia, has dealt with a wide variety of injuries over the past three years, including to his ankle, hamstring and back.
"We waited as long as we could," general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "He's improved. I talked to him [Monday] night and he's feeling better, but he's still feeling it a little bit and as we all know with respect to obliques, that needs to completely heal, and he has to not feel a thing before you ramp up baseball activity."
Mayberry slated for platoon with Lind at first
ST. PETERSBURG -- The Blue Jays have been searching for a platoon partner to pair with first baseman Adam Lind for almost a year, but they may have finally found their guy in John Mayberry Jr.
General manager Alex Anthopoulos completed a minor deal with the Phillies a few hours prior to Sunday's deadline. The Blue Jays sent low-level prospect Gustavo Pierre to Philadelphia in a move to strengthen their bench.
Mayberry has the ability to play all three outfield positions in addition to first base. The versatility was a selling point, but the main reason behind the deal was Mayberry's numbers against left-handed pitchers.
"We haven't had success against left-handers, so any opportunity we have to get a guy who has had success there and gives us defensive flexibility just seems like a no-brainer for us to take a look," Anthopoulos said.
Mayberry is a career .272 hitter with an .856 OPS against lefties during his six-year career. The numbers are a stark contrast to his performance against righties which includes a .224 average and .659 OPS.
The son of former Blue Jays first baseman John Mayberry will immediately enter a timeshare with Lind depending on who is taking the mound for the opposition. He's eligible for arbitration at the end of the season and likely would have been non-tendered by the Phillies.
"He's experienced, he's had a lot of success in the big leagues against lefties," manager John Gibbons said.
Delabar sent home to rest, regroup for 2015
ST. PETERSBURG -- The Blue Jays promoted eight players from the Minors and activated two others from the disabled list on Tuesday afternoon, but Steve Delabar's name was noticeably absent from the list.
Delabar has been sent home for the remainder of the season after he completed his duties with Triple-A Buffalo on Monday. It's likely a frustrating end to what had been a very difficult year for the 2013 All-Star reliever.
When manager John Gibbons was asked about the decision, he said Delabar's name had been discussed as a possible callup, but the club ultimately wanted him to rest and regroup for 2015.
"You can't bring everybody," Gibbons said. "With Delabar, the whole idea is let him go home and rest. It was kind of a tough year for him up here and down there it was kind of mixed results. We figured he might be better off, going home and resting, getting ready for next year."
Delabar began the season in the big leagues, but he never settled into the type of groove that made him one of the game's elite setup men in 2013. Delabar struggled with his control at times and posted a 4.91 ERA in 25 2/3 innings before getting buried in the Minors.
The native of Kentucky remains under club control next season and will presumably compete for a spot in the bullpen.
"I think the big thing was just the strike throwing and it had gotten better overall," general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "You look at the numbers, he's got an ERA below three and I watched his last outing on Monday and it looked better, the split looked like it was back.
"There was some discussion with respect to maybe he just would be best suited to just take a break. He's thrown a lot if you look at how much he threw last year. Clearly, he's had another full season again."