© 2014 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

8/27/2014 2:00 A.M. ET

Tolleson racks up second scoreless relief outing

TORONTO -- Blue Jays infielder Steve Tolleson is starting to get the hang of this whole pitching thing.

Tolleson made his second pitching appearance of the season during Tuesday night's 11-7 loss to Boston and retired both of the batters he faced.

Whenever a position player takes the mound, it always means things haven't gone well for his team. In this particular case, Tolleson at least attempted to enjoy the moment when he was called upon in the 11th inning of a blowout loss.

"I tried to have a little more fun with it this time," Tolleson said. "The last time, I was just kind of a deer in headlights without really knowing what to do. This time I just tried to embrace it, enjoy it for what I could, go out there and try to move the game along a little bit."

Tolleson's first career appearance as a pitcher came on May 14, and he retired one batter and allowed one hit during a 15-4 loss to Cleveland. This time, he pitched after Casey Janssen and Sergio Santos combined to allow seven earned runs in the 11th.

Tolleson first struck out Will Middlebrooks on six pitches. Tolleson followed that up by getting Mookie Betts to fly out to left and end the inning. Tolleson still has yet to allow a run and has a full inning of work under his belt.

"That's his second time this year," manager John Gibbons said. "We're not proud of that, but he's made two appearances."

Pompey among Blue Jays prospects set for AFL

TORONTO -- Dalton Pompey will headline the list of Blue Jays prospects participating in this year's Arizona Fall League.

Pompey spent most of this season with Double-A New Hampshire, where he hit .295 with a .378 on-base percentage and eight stolen bases in 13 attempts. The native of Mississauga, Ontario, recently was promoted to Triple-A Buffalo, where he's scheduled to finish the season.

The 21-year-old is Toronto's No. 3 prospect according to MLB.com and earlier this year he was named to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game at Target Field in Minnesota.

"We welcome the Class of 2014 and the arrival of the Arizona Fall League's 23rd season," AFL director Steve Cobb said. "It's an exciting array of top Draft choices and Minor League All-Stars who have excelled in the early stages of their professional careers. We continue to take great pride in the role the Fall League serves in Major League Baseball's player development process.

"Approximately 60 percent of our players will reach the Major Leagues. We want fans to know top young professional talent still will be playing baseball in October and November in Arizona."

Each organization is required to send six players to the AFL. Last year, Toronto used the AFL to provide some additional innings to pitchers Drew Hutchison and Marcus Stroman to get them ready for this season.

Double-A New Hampshire infielder Jon Berti and Class A Advanced Dunedin Blue Jays left fielder Dwight Smith Jr. will also will represent the Blue Jays in the AFL. Toronto has yet to make a formal announcement on the other players who will be on the Mesa Solar Sox's roster.

Reimold designated for assignment

TORONTO -- Nolan Reimold, who was claimed off waivers from the Orioles in early July but never really settled into a comfortable role with the Blue Jays, was designated for assignment Tuesday afternoon.

Reimold landed on the disabled list after four games and received sporadic playing time upon his return.

The 30-year-old likely will be claimed on waivers, but if that doesn't happen, there's still an outside chance he could remain in the organization and report to Triple-A Buffalo.

"He wasn't getting a whole lot of steady work," said manager John Gibbons, whose team promoted outfielder Kevin Pillar from Buffalo in a corresponding move. "It's tough in that role and he never really got it going."

The move comes as somewhat of a surprise considering Reimold is eligible for arbitration at the end of the season and would have been under team control. There seemed to be a possibility that he could return next season as a fourth outfielder while also providing insurance in case Melky Cabrera left as a free agent.

That will no longer be the case and the move likely has less to do with the addition of Pillar than it does clearing a spot on the 40-man roster. Teams are allowed to expand their rosters on Monday, and there's an expectation that a prospect like left-hander Daniel Norris could be among the callups.

Pillar also would have been one of those promoted, but he arrives a few days earlier than anticipated. He had a brief conversation with Gibbons on Tuesday afternoon as they cleared the air about Pillar's previous demotion. He was sent to the Minors on June 25 after he took issue with being lifted for a pinch-hitter and became visibly frustrated in the dugout.

"We moved on from it, said it was water under the bridge," Pillar said. "We didn't really much about expectations, but I'm sure the expectation is to play when he tells me to, defensive replacement, pinch-run, just go out there and help the team win."

Pillar was a late addition to Tuesday's starting lineup, as Colby Rasmus was a late scratch because of flu-like symptoms. Rasmus was originally listed in the lineup and expected to play center field while hitting sixth in the order. That plan changed approximately one hour prior to first pitch.

Gregor Chisholm is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, North of the Border, and follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.