© 2014 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

7/27/2014 7:21 P.M. ET

Top prospect Sanchez earns first big league win

NEW YORK -- Blue Jays rookie Aaron Sanchez earned the first victory of his career on Sunday afternoon, but it didn't come in the most traditional of ways.

Sanchez was called upon in the seventh inning to preserve a 3-3 tie against the Yankees. He accomplished that, but after Toronto took the lead in the top of the eighth, Sanchez ended up giving the run right back.

A lot of rookies could have crumbled after that, but Sanchez managed to battle back and limit the damage. He was then rewarded for the coolness under pressure when Blue Jays catcher Dioner Navarro hit a go-ahead single in the ninth.

"Maybe not so much the way I would have liked it," Sanchez said of his first win. "We scored a run there in the eighth and I go back out there, and for me, I need to do a better job of shutting that inning down so we don't have to fight for another one. But these guys picked me up, and it's such an awesome feeling right now to get my first win, especially here in Yankee Stadium."

Sanchez's effort included a three-up, three-down seventh inning, with all of the outs coming on the ground. Those are the type of results Toronto needs from its top prospect after the right-hander was promoted from Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday.

The strong seventh was enough to convince manager John Gibbons to give Sanchez another shot in the eighth. That didn't go quite as well, as Brett Gardner led off with a single and later scored with two outs when Carlos Beltran hit a single to left.

While it's not how Sanchez envisioned earning his first win, he'll still take it -- especially considering the Blue Jays earned a much-needed series victory over the division-rival Yankees.

"It's Carlos Beltran, he's a good hitter, he did exactly what he's supposed to do with that pitch," Sanchez said. "Fastball down and away and he flicked it into left-center field. I can't do anything about it, it's just about executing the next pitch. These guys picked me up in the ninth to get another run, and it feels good."

Blue Jays activate Reimold, designate Rogers

NEW YORK -- The Blue Jays added a much-needed bat to their roster on Sunday morning when outfielder Nolan Reimold was activated off the 15-day disabled list.

Reimold had been out since July 11 with a strained left calf. To make room on the 25-man roster, right-hander Esmil Rogers was designated for assignment.

The 30-year-old Reimold was claimed off waivers from the Orioles earlier this month. He appeared in just four games for the Blue Jays before getting injured, but the relatively short-term calf issue proved to be a best-case scenario.

"It was less serious than what I thought it would be," Reimold said. "It really hurt at first. It was the muscle that runs along the side that you push off with. They said it would heal pretty quickly and it did. I noticed a lot of improvement in the first few days and worked my way back to where I am now."

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said Reimold likely won't be used in the field for at least the next couple of days as he continues to get back to full strength. In the meantime, Reimold will get some time at designated hitter while also being available off the bench as a pinch-hitter.

The addition of Reimold is welcome news for a Toronto organization that has been experiencing a void on the right side of the plate with Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie currently on the DL. The Blue Jays have been fielding a predominantly left-handed-hitting lineup, with Jose Bautista and Steve Tolleson representing the only natural righties.

Reimold likely will be limited to part-time duties in the starting lineup when Adam Lind makes his return from the 15-day DL. That's expected to take place during the Blue Jays' upcoming series in Boston or Houston, as Lind will start vs. righties and Reimold will start vs. lefties.

"I worked my way into running, playing catch, taking BP and doing baseball activities," Reimold said of his rehab. "I feel good, I feel ready to go."

This marks the second time this year that Rogers has been designated for assignment. He was promoted from Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday but didn't get into a game before he was cut loose.

Gibbons said Rogers was the odd man out because the Blue Jays don't need another long reliever. Todd Redmond and Rob Rasmussen will share that role for the immediate future. What that means for Rogers' future is unknown, but he plans to remain in New York for the next couple of days while talking things over with his agent.

Rogers could get claimed by another team, but it's likely that he'll eventually report to Buffalo and continue earning his $1.85 million salary.

"They know what kind of pitcher I am, they know what I can do," Rogers said. "They don't need me right now and that's why I'm not on the team."

Gregor Chisholm is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, North of the Border, and follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.