6/11/2014 4:30 P.M. ET
Blue Jays option Pillar, Korecky, recall Mastroianni
By Jamie Ross / MLB.com
TORONTO -- The Blue Jays recalled outfielder Darin Mastroianni from Triple-A Buffalo following Wednesday's 7-2 loss to the Twins. In a corresponding move, right-hander Bobby Korecky was returned to Buffalo.
Earlier in the day, the team had optioned outfielder Kevin Pillar to the Bisons and brought up Korecky, who pitched two innings and allowed three earned runs on four hits vs. Minnesota.
It was Korecky's second trip to Toronto after first being recalled May 30 to pitch against the Royals. He went 1 1/3 innings and retired all four batters he faced.
The 34-year-old right-hander was 3-1 with six saves and a 0.26 ERA in 25 games at Buffalo.
Pillar, who's primarily used as a defensive substitute or to hit against lefties, was hitting .243 (9-for-37) in 24 games with the Blue Jays this season. The move to option Pillar was necessary following the team's 4-0 loss to the Twins on Tuesday, in which it used the bullpen for 5 1/3 innings after starter J.A. Happ was removed from the game in the fourth inning.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said that considering the team isn't scheduled to face much left-handed pitching on its upcoming road trip, it made sense to send Pillar to Buffalo so he can get some hitting done instead of sitting on the bench in Toronto.
"Send him down and get some at-bats as opposed to sitting there rotting," said Gibbons.
Mastroianni was hitting .306 with three homers and 16 RBIs in 48 games with the Bisons this season.
Blue Jays agree to deal with third-rounder Wells
TORONTO -- The Blue Jays on Wednesday agreed to terms with left-hander Nick Wells, the team's third-round pick in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.
With the agreement, the club has reached deals with five players from its 2014 Draft class after right-hander Sean Reid-Foley (second round), catcher Matt Morgan (fourth round), outfielder Lane Thomas (fifth round) and right-hander Justin Shafer (eighth round) all signed earlier in the week.
The 18-year-old has agreed to sign for the full value of the No. 83 pick in the Draft, which is $661,800.
Wells throws a fastball in the low 90s that saw a large increase in velocity over the past year. He's also equipped with a solid breaking ball.
"He's already shown a plus curveball," Blue Jays director of amateur scouting Brian Parker said. "[He's] a young, projectable lefty [who's] flashing an above-average breaking ball."
Wells, who had previously committed to the College of Charleston, is coming off a season in which he posted a 1.06 ERA in 53 innings. He struck out 102 over that span and had six complete games and a pair of no-hitters.
During his final outing of the season, he struck out the final 14 batters he faced in a 4-0 victory. In 2013, he went 7-2 with a 0.45 ERA, four complete games and 72 strikeouts in 61 2/3 innings.
Gibbons calls for sense of urgency with bats
TORONTO -- The Blue Jays' offense is in a run-scoring slump it hasn't experienced in decades.
The team was shut out for the third time in four days Tuesday night in a 4-0 loss to the Twins, something that hasn't happened since the 1990 season when the Blue Jays were blanked in three straight.
The Blue Jays were still able to rip some hard-hit outs Tuesday, but the only batted balls that dropped for hits were seven singles.
No one on the team seems overly concerned about the drought, summing it up in general terms as the ebb and flow of the game of baseball.
But manager John Gibbons acknowledged Wednesday that in order to be successful, the Blue Jays' offence has to lead the charge.
"We need to get the bats going," said Gibbons. "Let's face it. You gotta score to win. We're that kind of team, that's how we're built."
Despite scoring only five runs over their past four games entering Wednesday, the Blue Jays remained second among American League teams with 319 runs scored, and boasted the highest AL OPS at .773.
They've mustered only four extra-base hits over the last four games (they lead the AL with 217 this season), and their Nos. 3-4-5 batters have registered five hits in that span.
Power-hitting third baseman Juan Francisco has also been experiencing a slump, dropping to No. 8 in the batting order for Tuesday's game. He was not in the lineup on Wednesday.
Francisco is hitless in his previous 15 at-bats, and since May 21 he's hitting .152 (7-for-46) with two home runs and 16 strikeouts.
"We gave him the day off," said Gibbons. "He could use it."
Jamie Ross is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.