5/28/2014 8:28 P.M. ET
Navarro in lineup despite finger injury
By Gregor Chisholm / MLB.com
TORONTO -- Dioner Navarro was back in the Blue Jays lineup on Wednesday night despite injuring his right index finger against Tampa Bay the night before.
Navarro's glove hand was struck by a bat when Jose Molina followed through on his swing in the third inning. The veteran catcher originally thought he broke his finger, but it turned out to be a deep bruise.
The 30-year-old catcher wore a splint for the rest of the game, which required the finger to be pointed straight at all times, including during his at-bats. That can obviously cause some issues, but Navarro didn't feel like it was enough of a hindrance to keep him out of the lineup.
"I missed a few days with the quad thing, and I can't be sitting here watching the game," said Navarro, who missed a few games earlier this month with a sore right leg. "I tested it this morning and I felt good enough. I let them know last night that I was ready to play today. I believe if I'm 60 percent that I'm ready, I feel like I can contribute and I'm going to play. I'm not going to sit down."
The desire to play through pain comes at least in part because the Blue Jays have been on such a roll of late. Navarro has been waiting for this type of opportunity since 2009 when he was still with Tampa Bay. and isn't about to let it slip away just yet.
Toronto entered play on Wednesday night on an eight-game winning streak to put the club nine games over .500. Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Reyes, Melky Cabrera and Jose Bautista have received the bulk of the credit, but it's been an all-around team effort.
Navarro wants to make sure the winning ways continue, and in the meantime he will do anything possible to remain in the lineup on a regular basis.
"I just love to play, man, I love to play," Navarro said. "I kind of put myself in the situation where I want to be again. Playing after being a backup for the past three years, and now I have this opportunity. It has been such a wonderful experience being around these guys.
"Eddie hitting bombs, Melky getting five hits a day, Reyes stealing seven bases. It's just so much fun. [Mark] Buehrle didn't have his best stuff last night and still gave us 6 2/3, you know what I'm saying? We just have to keep riding this bus, keep riding it and keep going hard."
Santos suffers setback in forearm rehab
TORONTO -- Sergio Santos has suffered a setback with his right forearm injury, and there is still no timetable for his return to the Blue Jays bullpen.
Santos hasn't pitched in a game since he felt some discomfort during an outing against the Angels on May 9. He was temporarily shut down from all throwing activities, but over the past week had finally begun to get some work in.
The routine started off with some light tossing into a net and then progressed to throwing on the field. Everything was going OK until Santos felt something when he began some long toss at approximately 120 feet.
"I wouldn't call it a big, big setback," Santos said. "When I got out to 110, stepping on it a little bit, didn't hurt, wasn't painful, just backing off for a day, resting and then throwing again. Good enough distance, playing catch, throwing. It felt fine, the ball was coming out good."
Santos is obviously trying to downplay the injury concerns, but it's certainly not a positive development. He's in a brief no-throw situation and will then restart the throwing process to once again gradually build up his arm.
The hope is that Santos will be able throw a bullpen in approximately one week. The next step would be a couple of rehab appearances in the Minor Leagues, which likely means he won't be able to return for at least a couple of more weeks. If there's another setback along the way, it could be even longer than that.
"Still in the forearm, but it's not bad," Santos said of the spot that is causing him issues. "I'm going to try and push through this and get going soon. I'm still hoping by this weekend, I'd like to get a bullpen in the next week or so."
Janssen unavailable in finale vs. Rays
TORONTO -- Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen was not available to pitch during Wednesday night's game vs. the Rays because of "general body soreness."
The news was revealed by manager John Gibbons during an afternoon scrum with reporters. Despite multiple questions from the media, a specific injury wasn't revealed, and Janssen took a similar tone in an interview approximately an hour late.
Janssen and Gibbons both insisted the soreness didn't have anything to do with an oblique injury that caused Janssen to miss the first month of the season. They also claimed it didn't have anything to do with his right shoulder, which plagued the veteran right-hander in 2013.
"I'm just sore, general soreness," Janssen said. "I got back and ran the gauntlet a little bit here. I'm going to try and steal a day, hopefully they don't need it and the guys down there can do my job anyways. Take a day here and be right back at it."
Regardless of where Janssen is feeling some discomfort, it shouldn't be overly surprising considering he missed almost all of Spring Training because of the oblique injury. He didn't throw much at all until the end of April and since returning on May 9, Janssen's had a heavy workload.
With the Blue Jays having a lot of success this month, there's been a need to use Janssen on a regular basis. He's made nine appearances, which includes two sets of appearances in back-to-back games.
"I've been up quite a bit lately, and just take a day when I need one," said Janssen, who is perfect in eight save opportunities and has yet to allow a run.
"Had I had a full Spring Training, had I had a full first month of the season, I don't think this would have been an issue. I just don't want to do too much, too soon and then kick ourselves about the workload right out of the gate."