5/21/2014 7:20 P.M. ET
Santos engages in some light toss activities
Blue Jays reliever eager to resume throwing, will play catch later in week
By Gregor Chisholm / MLB.com
BOSTON -- Right-hander Sergio Santos went through a light toss on Wednesday afternoon for the first time since sustaining a strained right forearm on May 9.
Santos, who is on the 15-day disabled list, did some light tossing into a net at Fenway Park. He's expected to start playing catch on Friday and a few days from there will progress to long toss.
There's still no set timeframe for Santos' return to the mound, but the hope is that everything goes well in the next several days and he will be able to start throwing side sessions at some point next week.
"It's been about 12 days without any kind of throwing and that's too long for me," said Santos, who has a 9.00 ERA in 14 games this season. "I want to get out there and start chucking just because it feels good."
Santos hasn't been able to test his arm over the past week and a half, but the soreness he was originally feeling has finally subsided. The first obstacle will be avoiding a lot of discomfort once he resumes throwing and then making slight progress from there.
That would seem to indicate that Santos is another couple of weeks away from making a return. He will need to throw a couple of side sessions and make a few rehab appearances in the Minor Leagues before he can be activated from the disabled list.
"There's no tenderness or soreness anymore," Santos said. "Everything feels good. When I get out of bed every morning, I feel almost as healthy as I was at the start of the season, so that's encouraging."
Blue Jays waiting to announce starter vs. A's
BOSTON -- The Blue Jays haven't made a decision on their starting pitcher for Saturday's game vs Oakland.
Toronto was expected to make an announcement on Wednesday afternoon but that didn't end up being the case. Manager John Gibbons previously admitted the start will go to either long reliever Todd Redmond or Triple-A right-hander Liam Hendriks.
The assumption for the past week has been that Hendriks would be in line for that outing because he is properly stretched out compared to Redmond, who would be on a strict pitch count. Even so, the Blue Jays are going to wait a little bit longer before making their intentions known.
"I'm not sure yet, I thought I would know, but I'm not sure yet," Gibbons said. "So I lied to you, not intentionally, but I lied to you [on Tuesday] ... Just waiting to announce it."
Hendriks last pitched for Buffalo on Saturday when he allowed one run over seven innings with Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos watching from the stands. He's tentatively scheduled to start again on Friday night but that outing would obviously be cancelled if there's a promotion within the next two days.
The 25-year-old Hendriks was claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays during Spring Training. He previously appeared in parts of three seasons with Minnesota and has a career 2-13 record with a 6.06 ERA. In Buffalo, he has a 1.48 ERA in 48 2/3 innings.
Quantrill set to represent Blue Jays at Draft
BOSTON -- Former Major Leaguer Paul Quantrill will represent the Blue Jays at the upcoming First-Year Player Draft in June.
Quantrill is set to join vice president of communications Jay Stenhouse and the pair will announce Toronto's selections at the Draft. That continues a recent tradition of the Blue Jays involving their former players in the process after the likes of Fred McGriff, Pat Hentgen and Roberto Alomar took part in recent years.
The 45-year-old Quantrill spent parts of 14 seasons in the Major Leagues, which included six years in Toronto. He had a 3.83 ERA while striking out 725 batters over the course of 1,255 2/3 career innings.
Quantrill currently works for the organization as a consultant. His son, Cal Quantrill, was selected by the Yankees in the 26th round of last year's Draft, but he instead decided to attend school and play for Stanford University.
Toronto owns a pair of picks in the first round of the upcoming Draft. The Blue Jays own the ninth overall selection and also possess the 11th pick after not being able to sign last year's first-rounder Phil Bickford. After the first round, the Blue Jays will then make the 49th overall pick.
The 2014 Draft will take place on June 5-7, beginning with the Draft preview show on MLB.com and MLB Network on Thursday, June 5, at 6 p.m. ET. Live Draft coverage from MLB Network's Studio 42 begins at 7 p.m., with the top 74 picks being streamed on MLB.com and broadcast on MLB Network. MLB.com's exclusive coverage of the second and third days will begin with a live Draft show at 12:30 p.m. ET on June 6.
MLB.com's coverage includes Draft Central, the Top 100 Draft Prospects list and Draft Tracker, a live interactive application that includes a searchable database of Draft-eligible players. Every selection will be tweeted live from @MLBDraftTracker, and you can also keep up to date by following @MLBDraft. And get into the Draft conversation by tagging your tweets with #mlbdraft.