5/17/2014 1:54 A.M. ET
Arencibia making adjustments with Rangers
By Gregor Chisholm and Teddy Cahill / MLB.com
ARLINGTON -- J.P. Arencibia was once considered the catcher of the future in Toronto, but now he spends most of his time as a backup with the Rangers.
Arencibia was heralded as a potential cornerstone of the Blue Jays franchise when he arrived at the big league level in 2010 but the ensuing three years didn't exactly go as planned.
The native of Miami struggled with the bat and the glove before general manager Alex Anthopoulos decided to cut him loose in the offseason. That led to an opportunity with the Rangers, but so far Arencibia has yet to figure things out at the plate.
"It's an ability to make some adjustments and he can do that, I've seen him do it, but you have to be committed to doing it," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said when asked what keeps a player like Arencibia from succeeding.
"J.P.'s still on the younger side of the game too, so he has time. He almost caught a no-hitter the other day too, so you can bash his defense all you want, but he almost caught a no-hitter."
Arencibia did agree to a brief television interview on Thursday afternoon but declined multiple requests from the Toronto print media. During last year's struggles, Arencibia remained defiant and had several well-documented run-ins with the media when things were going poorly.
This year hasn't been any better as Arencibia entered play hitting .140 with a .190 on-base percentage and a .436 OPS. He has more strikeouts (14) than hits (eight) and has lost some playing time to fellow catcher Robinson Chirinos.
There's also early speculation out of Texas that Arencibia could be out of a job when Geovany Soto returns from a left knee injury in mid-June. That could change in the coming weeks, but Arencibia doesn't have a lot of time to turn his season around.
"I'm a fan of his," Gibbons said. "I'll say this, he has been through some tough times but you know what, there's not a guy that shows up to play more than he does, every day. Beat up, he comes to play. He never made excuses. He got himself into a little bit of hot water but I can't fault his effort, ever."
Blue Jays wait to replace McGowan in rotation
ARLINGTON -- The Blue Jays intend to wait a little bit longer before choosing a replacement for Dustin McGowan in the starting rotation.
Toronto announced on Thursday that McGowan was headed for the bullpen after a six-week stint in the rotation. Marcus Stroman and Todd Redmond are under consideration for a starting role but the Blue Jays plan to stick with the status quo for the immediate future.
With an off-day coming on Monday, Toronto can afford to skip McGowan's old spot and instead wait another week before making a decision on his replacement.
"We're probably just going to let it run, with that off-day, keep everybody going," Gibbons said of his starters. "We'd need somebody for the second game vs. Oakland [May 24], I think, is how it would play out."
McGowan was a surprise addition to the Blue Jays' starting rotation during the final week of Spring Training. After spending last year in the bullpen, McGowan attempted to make a transition to the starting staff, but the move was met with mixed results.
The 32-year-old enjoyed quality starts vs. the Orioles, Royals and Pirates but in every other outing he was unable to complete more than five innings. McGowan also admitted on Thursday that his arm was still sore four days after a start and that he wasn't recovering as well as anticipated.
That led to a mutual agreement between McGowan and the Blue Jays that he should move back to the bullpen. It's a role where he has thrived before; last year saw McGowan post a 2.45 ERA while striking out 26 in 25 appearances as a reliever.
There's also the added benefit of McGowan providing additional support to fellow relievers Casey Janssen, Steve Delabar, Brett Cecil and Aaron Loup.
"I like the way it looks personally," Gibbons said. "I think it will give us a chance. We can match up better down there. We've been running with guys, giving them righties, lefties, they carried a decent workload down there doing that."
Getz's retirement no surprise to Gibbons
ARLINGTON -- Chris Getz's decision to retire caught a lot of people offguard, but not Blue Jays manager John Gibbons.
Gibbons had a long history with Getz dating back to their time together in Kansas City from 2008-11. The two knew each other well enough that Gibbons had an idea this type of move might be coming.
The 30-year-old Getz decided to step away from the game earlier this week after spending the past nine years in professional baseball, including part of seven seasons in the Major Leagues.
"He called me the other day and he told me," Gibbons said. "It's been something he had been contemplating. I think this offseason, he finished his degree. He's a smart cookie, Getzy has it all together. ... It's something that was kind of stewing with him because the last couple of years he had been up and down.
"I think he has a baby on the way, his wife is due in the next couple of months. It's not like it happened out of bitterness or frustration. He even told me he's excited about his next career, whatever that's going to be."
Getz could change his mind at some point in the future but at least for now his playing days have come to an end. He was a .250 career hitter with three homers and 111 RBIs in 459 career games.
The native of Michigan had a brief stint with the Blue Jays this season. He began the year in the Minors but eventually got called up in May and appeared in 10 games. Getz was then designated for assignment and cleared waivers before he announced his intention to retire.
Norris wins battle of top prospects
BRADENTON -- In a showdown Friday between two pitchers ranked on MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 Prospects list, left-hander Daniel Norris edged right-hander Tyler Glasnow, helping Class A Advanced Dunedin to a 3-2 victory at Bradenton.
Norris, the Blue Jays' No. 4 prospect and No. 100 overall, began the game with four hitless innings. His no-hit bid ended when Max Moroff doubled to lead off the fifth, but Norris finished the night strong. He struck out six batters in a season-high 6 2/3 innings and allowed one run on four hits and a walk.
Norris is 3-0 this season and leads the Florida State League with a 0.90 ERA. He has struck out 48 batters and walked 11 in 40 innings.
Glasnow, the Pirates' No. 3 prospect and No. 24 overall, also made his longest start of the season. He allowed one run on five hits in six innings. He struck out four batters and walked three.
Both starters were out of the game by the time the game was decided in the ninth. With two outs in the inning, Dunedin left fielder K.C. Hobson singled home second baseman Jorge Flores for what proved to be the winning run. Right-hander Arik Sikula struck out the side in the ninth to close out the victory. He now leads the Minor Leagues with 12 saves this season.
• Blue Jays catcher Dioner Navarro is expected to make his return to the lineup on Saturday night. Navarro has been out since Wednesday when he was placed on the bereavement/family medical emergency list.
• Left-hander Ricky Romero continues to struggle with Triple-A Buffalo. He walked nine batters before he was pulled with two outs in the third inning during his start on Friday afternoon. Romero now has 32 walks in 29 2/3 innings with a WHIP over two in seven starts this season.
Gregor Chisholm is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, North of the Border, and follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB. Teddy Cahill is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tedcahill. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.