9/29/2013 1:30 P.M. ET
Blue Jays' DeRosa faces retirement decision
By Evan Peaslee / MLB.com
TORONTO -- Mark DeRosa still isn't sure if he'll be back for his 17th season in the big leagues next year, but he's hoping to make that decision sooner rather than later.
"I would like to think [it will be decided] pretty quickly," DeRosa said. "I obviously have to wait and hear what their decision is on me. Then I'll sit down at home and decide what's the next move."
While the decision of retirement isn't one to be taken lightly, the 38-year-old's comeback season is making that process more difficult than if he hadn't returned to form.
Before joining the Blue Jays, DeRosa had struggled the past three seasons. He was zapped of almost all his power, hitting just a single home run, as he dealt with a torn tendon sheath in his left wrist.
With those issues behind him, however, DeRosa entered the season's final game batting .229, with a .720 OPS, seven home runs, 34 RBIs, and 19 extra-base hits in 87 games this year.
"I think it makes it tougher," DeRosa said. "I think it would have been a very easy decision if I was sitting here in agony all year. I think it makes it tougher, because I think I'm still capable of playing at this level.
"I was hurt. I knew I was hurt. I knew I couldn't compete at this level for awhile. So to be able to come back and for everything to settle, I feel like it's a positive year."
While the Blue Jays infielder's $750,000 club option seems like a no-brainer to pick up given the value he has coming off the bench, it's not something DeRosa is worried about. He's happy about how his career has gone.
"I walk away with tons of friends, hopefully the respect of my peers, tons of memories and proud of the fact that I was able to compete at the highest level in my profession for a long time," DeRosa said of his career if Sunday's contest vs. the Rays happens to be his last. "Something not a lot of guys were able to do. So I hold my head high."
Lind can look back on 2013 campaign with pride
TORONTO -- Adam Lind's stiff back wouldn't allow him to be in the starting lineup for Game 162, but he's more than happy with how his season unfolded.
Lind appeared in 142 games this season, the most since 2010. He hit .287 with 23 home runs and 67 RBIs, and he managed to stay in the middle of the Blue Jays' lineup all season while avoiding a stint on the disabled list.
"It's definitely a season, so far in my career, that I'll look back on as one of my better ones," Lind said. "I think I did pretty good. I almost hit .290, over 20 homers, I stayed in the middle of the lineup all year.
"No DL time, almost 140 games played. It was a pretty good, productive season."
It's been a turnaround for the 30-year-old, who last season found himself removed from the club's 40-man roster.
At the same time, his resurgence has given general manager Alex Anthopoulos a decision to make on Lind's $7 million club option for 2014.
Anthopoulos implied that he was likely to do so last week, but even so, it's not something keeping the Toronto first baseman up at night.
"I have no idea what's going to happen with that, but I know I've done well enough that I'll be employed somewhere," Lind said. "So my mind can ease a little bit."
Evan Peaslee is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.