9/6/2013 8:53 P.M. ET
Toronto's rotation shuffle sends Redmond to 'pen
By Gregor Chisholm / MLB.com
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Blue Jays will skip right-hander Todd Redmond's next outing, because they are looking to take advantage of Monday's off-day.
Redmond was scheduled to pitch on Tuesday against the Angels, but that outing will instead go to Mark Buehrle. Toronto is attempting to keep Buehrle and knuckleballer R.A. Dickey on regular rest to maximize their number of starts before the end of the season.
That means Redmond will miss his next turn and briefly join an overcrowded bullpen, but the decision was based on the available arms and not anything health related.
"We'll just give Redmond a little bit of a blow," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said.
Dickey will follow Buehrle on Wednesday in Toronto, while left-hander J.A. Happ is scheduled to pitch in the series finale vs. Los Angeles. It's not immediately clear when Redmond will start again, as Toronto is also considering giving a start to Kyle Drabek, who was recently promoted from the Minor Leagues.
Redmond has a 4.40 ERA in 57 1/3 innings. He has surrendered three runs or less in all but one of his outings, but he hasn't been able to pitch more than six innings in a game.
Healthy Santos finally able to show his worth
MINNEAPOLIS -- Blue Jays right-hander Sergio Santos has started to make a case that he can once again be relied upon as a late-inning reliever.
Santos joined Toronto two years ago during an offseason trade with the White Sox, but wasn't able to make an impact at the big league level following a series of injuries.
Last season, it was a right shoulder injury that limited him to just six games, while his 2013 campaign was derailed until the All-Star Break because of bone spurs in his right elbow. That created plenty of doubt about whether Santos would be able to remain on the field, but a month of good health is starting to alter his outlook.
"My main thing is to be around and to stay healthy, and I feel like pitching the way I have the last month, it's kind of put me in a good position to build off for next year," Santos said. "Finishing off this year was really important to me just to prove to myself that I am healthy, I can stay healthy and I can repeat my delivery consistently."
Santos hasn't had much of an opportunity to showcase his skills in a Blue Jays' uniform, but since returning to the Major Leagues at the beginning of August, his powerful arm has been on full display. Entering Friday, he had posted a 2.13 ERA with just six hits and 10 strikeouts over 12 2/3 innings.
Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Santos' return to the mound has been his control. Even when he was a closer in Chicago, Santos walked more than four batters per nine innings, but since being activated from the 60-day disabled list, he has walked just three.
It's an encouraging sign for a pitcher who needed to silence the critics and also eliminate his internal doubts about being able to stay healthy. With Casey Janssen firmly entrenched as Toronto's closer, Santos will remain in middle relief for the immediate future, but could be ready for a greater role if there's an injury or trade before the start of next year.
"Just like everybody wants to be an ace of the staff, everybody wants to be a three-four hitter. When you're a reliever, you want to be the guy when the game's on the line to be on the mound," Santos said.
"Right now, my main goal is just to go pitch-by-pitch. I know it's cliche and old, but the more I focus on that, the more I feel like everything else will take care of itself. If I continue to put up zeroes, I feel like good things are in store for me."
Rasmus to rejoin Blue Jays, but only for rehab
MINNEAPOLIS -- Colby Rasmus is expected to rejoin the Blue Jays in the near future, but it's only to continue his rehab, as there's still no timetable for the center fielder's return to the lineup.
Rasmus, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique muscle, has been working out at the club's Minor League complex in Florida for the past several weeks.
That activity in Florida will likely come to an end, because the Minor League season wrapped up last week, but Rasmus still has rehab work to do.
"He's making progress. I think the plan is he may join us pretty soon, because the season is over down there and there's not much going on at the complex," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "I don't know that for a fact, but he'll probably end up joining us at home."
The Blue Jays still haven't ruled out a return for Rasmus this season, but each passing day without a timetable makes getting back onto the field increasingly unlikely. Gibbons said he had "no idea" whether Rasmus could make it back, but with only 21 games remaining, there isn't much room for error.
The 27-year-old was originally supposed to resume baseball activities in late August, but he suffered a setback and has been closely monitored ever since. He has been out since Aug. 11 and is hitting .273 with 18 homers and 60 RBIs while posting an .812 OPS.