8/16/2013 6:29 P.M. ET
Gose looking to turn around 'frustrating' season
By Adam Berry / MLB.com
ST. PETERSBURG -- Anthony Gose didn't have to search too deep into his vocabulary to find one word that describes his 2013 season.
"Frustrating. I don't even know if that's a good enough word, but it's been a year. It's been frustrating," said Gose, recalled from Triple-A Buffalo on Thursday night. "There's been moments where it's been good. There's been a lot more moments where it hasn't."
Gose started in center field and batted ninth against the Rays on Friday. And he was perfectly clear what, exactly, he needs to do to get his season back on track.
"Hit the ball," he said. "Specifically, hit the baseball. ... Same thing I'm always trying to work on. Hitting the ball. Same story every year. Hit the ball. When I hit the ball, good things happen. When I don't, [I'm] just a Minor League player."
Manager John Gibbons said Gose likely will split time in center field, with Rajai Davis, starting against right-handed pitchers. However the outfield platoon situation shakes out, Gibbons said the Blue Jays "want to play him. We brought him up here to get a look at him."
"His last stint up here, he played pretty good for us for those couple weeks. His whole thing's hitting, consistency with the bat," Gibbons added. "He's got everything. He's a youngster, too, now. It's not like he's a mid-20s type guy. He's a young kid at this level pretty quick. He's got everything he needs. Now it's just playing and learning and making adjustments. It's pretty simple. Pretty simple, but not easy."
Gose, 23, was batting .239 with a .316 on-base percentage, three homers, 27 RBIs, 64 runs scored and 22 stolen bases in 35 attempts for Buffalo. There was talk that he developed a bad attitude after being sent back down to Triple-A, but he said his frustration was more a product of his inability to hit, particularly his high strikeout total (121 in 106 games).
"There were a lot of things that I could control that I wasn't controlling as far as maybe attitude, hustle, things like that," Gose said. "But it wasn't so much because I got sent down. It was more just, when you go down there and you strike out three times a game four or five games in a row, I'm not going to be happy. I don't think anybody would."
Gose hit .304 in 26 plate appearances for the Blue Jays earlier this season. He said he didn't return to the Majors with anything to prove, though. He had mentally prepared himself to either be called up in September or not at all.
"I'm just going to go out there and play," he said. "The last few weeks, I've hit the ball, I've had better at-bats, put the ball in play consistently -- more consistent, with better contact. Just hopefully I can keep it going here. Hopefully."
Delabar progressing, but no timeline set
ST. PETERSBURG -- Right-hander Steve Delabar played catch Friday, the first time he's done so since going on the disabled list, but he said there is no set timeline for his return to the Blue Jays' bullpen.
Delabar has been sidelined for two weeks due to inflammation in his right shoulder, though he clarified Friday it's closer to his biceps after dealing with lingering pain since mid-July. Delabar was one of baseball's best setup men in the first half, going 5-2 with a 2.90 ERA in 49 2/3 innings, but admitted he "wasn't feeling amazing" when he pitched in the All-Star Game and acknowledged that there was "a little discomfort" even since then.
Yet he was still able to pitch -- and do so effectively, for the most part -- so he didn't think it was serious enough to stop playing.
"I was competing and getting guys out, so from my side it was like, how am I going to say I'm not feeling good if things are all working? I'm still getting most of the guys out and competing and being able to get myself ready, so I was able to work through the soreness that I had," Delabar said Friday at Tropicana Field. "It just continued, with the work that we were getting and the progression that we were having. I couldn't get it out of there."
He pointed out that the pain would subside when he'd take several consecutive days off, but it became difficult to warm up and get loose. So finally, after giving up three runs against the Angels on Aug. 2, he mentioned to head trainer George Poulis that he wasn't 100 percent healthy.
Delabar said there had been no talk about shutting him down for the rest of the season -- "I haven't heard that at all," he said -- and while there is no estimate for his return, he is eager to come back.
"It gets at me, but I know that right now is the best time, the best thing to do is rest right now, get it back to where it needs to be and hopefully get up here as soon as possible," Delabar said.
Blue Jays reinstate Happ; Kawasaki to paternity list
ST. PETERSBURG -- The Blue Jays on Friday reinstated left-hander J.A. Happ from the bereavement list and placed shortstop Munenori Kawasaki on the paternity list in a corresponding roster move.
Happ, scheduled to start Saturday against the Rays, was placed on the bereavement list following his Monday start against the Athletics because his grandfather recently passed away. The southpaw is 2-2 with a 5.11 ERA in nine starts this season.
Happ returned on Aug. 7 from a three-month stint on the disabled list after being struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Rays outfielder Desmond Jennings on May 7 at Tropicana Field. He wasn't with the team before Friday's game, but he'll return Saturday to the same mound where his season was derailed by the knee injury he sustained as he fell to the turf.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said he was looking forward to seeing Happ back on the mound, especially after watching right-hander Alex Cobb return to form Thursday night following a similar incident.
"It's good for [Happ]. It's the same thing Cobber did yesterday. You have to start riding the horse again," Maddon said. "It's horrible. I wish him well. It's something he has to do for himself, and it's tough."
As for Kawasaki, he can remain on the paternity list for a maximum of three days, and manager John Gibbons expected Kawasaki would use all three of them as he traveled back to Toronto. The 32-year-old, recently recalled for his third stint with the Jays, is hitting .205 with one homer and 20 RBIs in 72 games this season.
Blue Jays tab Rogers, Buehrle for doubleheader
ST. PETERSBURG -- Manager John Gibbons said the Blue Jays will start Esmil Rogers and Mark Buehrle in Tuesday's doubleheader against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium.
Rogers will take the hill on six days' rest in the 1:05 p.m. ET game, a makeup of their postponed May 19 contest, and Buehrle will start the night game on normal rest. Gibbons was asked if the Blue Jays considered calling up another starter as the designated 26th man for the doubleheader, and he said it wasn't their preference.
"We wanted those two guys pitching," Gibbons said. "If we didn't, we'd have done it."
From there, the rotation will continue with R.A. Dickey and J.A. Happ on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, and Todd Redmond kicking off next weekend's series against the Astros on Friday.