7/6/2013 7:50 P.M. ET
Blue Jays giving reliable Delabar a breather
Reliever on Final Vote ballot to land last spot on AL All-Star team
By Evan Peaslee / MLB.com
TORONTO -- The Blue Jays' bullpen is essentially rested after starter Mark Buehrle ate up seven innings on Friday, but the club avoided calling Steve Delabar's name on Saturday against the Twins.
Delabar last pitched on Monday, but has been experiencing some soreness lately and the club is monitoring it.
"We're going to keep an eye on Delabar, too, he's hanging a little bit," manager John Gibbons said. "Nothing unusual, just there's been a lot of work."
In other news Saturday, Delabar was one of five relievers from the American League to receive a nomination for the Final Vote. The ballot will give fans an opportunity to decide which pitcher is deserving for the last spot on the American League All-Star team.
The 29-year-old righty has thrown 40 innings, which ranks 13th in the AL this season.
Delabar, who is 5-1 with a 1.58 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, a .193 average against and 57 strikeouts, has been one of the stabilizing forces in a solid Toronto bullpen.
Reliever Neil Wagner was also unavailable after throwing 39 pitches in Thursday's game against the Tigers.
Club comes to terms with second-rounder Hollon
TORONTO -- Just a few days after Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said there was progress in trying to sign the club's top two picks in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft, Toronto came to terms with second-round selection Clinton Hollon on Saturday.
Hollon, a right-handed pitcher, was selected 47th overall out of Woodford County High School in Kentucky.
The 18-year-old posted a 9-1 record with a 0.61 ERA and 87 strikeouts in 57 innings in his senior year.
Hollon dealt with right forearm tendinitis this season, although it didn't affect the velocity he can generate as the 6-foot-1 195-pounder can reach the mid-90s on his fastball. However, it did play a role in where he fell to in the Draft and in the contract that he signed.
The club has not released the amount he signed for, but it is believed to be in the range of $467,200, according to Baseball America.
With the signing, the Blue Jays have come to terms with 23 players from this year's Draft.
Lawrie moves up to Double-A to continue rehab
TORONTO -- Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie made the jump to Double-A New Hampshire on Saturday as part of the rehabilitation of his sprained left ankle.
Lawrie played two games at Class A Lansing, going 0-for-6 with two walks and a run scored. He also put in his first full game Friday since his rehab assignment began.
He'll play the next two games with the Fisher Cats, beginning Saturday against Binghamton.
• Kyle Drabek was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list to the 40-man roster Friday night, taking the spot previously filled by Chien-Ming Wang.