02/27/2013 6:09 PM ET
Blue Jays take field with potential Opening Day lineup
By Gregor Chisholm / MLB.com
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- The Blue Jays unveiled what could be their Opening Day lineup during Wednesday afternoon's game against the Astros.
As expected, Toronto used Jose Reyes, Melky Cabrera, Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion in the top four spots. They were followed by Adam Lind, Brett Lawrie, Colby Rasmus, J.P. Arencibia and Emilio Bonifacio.
It was the first time the Blue Jays utilised the majority -- if not all -- of their starters in one game this spring but it's something that likely will happen more as the spring progresses.
"I've been trying to give them all two days in a row and then a day off," manager John Gibbons said. "It's a long spring, we want to get them at-bats and get them used to each other because a few of them are going to be leaving (for the World Baseball Classic).
"So, two days on, one day off, and then the last couple of weeks we'll have them out there pretty much every day."
Gibbons likely will continue to tinker with the lineup throughout the Grapefruit League season but the only major change could come at second base where Maicer Izturis is still competing with Bonifacio for the starting job.
Anderson looks to stay put after waiver claim
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- The past year has been quite the whirlwind for first baseman Lars Anderson.
When the former top prospect joined the Blue Jays on Tuesday it marked the fifth organization he has been with since July.
The constant state of flux has made it challenging to settle in but such is the life of someone still attempting to establish himself as a potential Major Leaguer.
"It's an interesting dynamic," said Anderson, who was claimed off waivers from the White Sox. "It's not an uncommon one in baseball for a guy to get through the levels pretty quick and then kind of have to do a little bit extra to make it.
"I think that's where I'm at, I've accomplished a lot in my career that I can be proud of but there's a whole other level that I want to achieve."
Anderson was originally selected in the 18th round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft by Boston. He quickly advanced through the system and prior to the 2009 campaign was listed as the game's 17th-best prospect according to Baseball America.
By 2010, though, his progress began to stagnate. He reached Triple-A but proceeded to spend the next three years at that level with the exception of a few brief appearances in the Majors.
Anderson's time with the Red Sox came to an end last year and ever since it seems as though he is constantly on the move. He'll be back in Triple-A again this season but with David Cooper likely out for the year with a back injury Anderson could provide some much-needed depth for the organization.
The 25-year-old is optimistic that his roster shuffling has come to an end. He'd like to settle in with the Blue Jays organization and even though there's no expectation to break camp with the club it doesn't mean an opportunity won't surface at some point this year.
"At a certain point you spend enough time in one place you look for a fresh start," said Anderson, who hit .250 with nine homers and 59 RBIs last year in Triple-A. "I think that's what I was looking for. And I got more than a fresh start, I got five new teams, so it's like be careful what you wish for.
"Especially at Triple-A I felt like I had good seasons but I never felt like I played the way I was capable of. So, for me, it was hard to feel frustrated about guys that were ahead of me because I didn't feel like I was putting pressure on the organization to call me up."
McCoy back in action after scary outfield collision
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Utilityman Mike McCoy made his return to the Blue Jays' lineup Wednesday afternoon, four days after suffering a left-leg injury during a scary collision with outfielder Ryan Langerhans.
McCoy was diagnosed with a contusion on his left thigh when he crashed into Langerhans -- who was not injured on the play -- during a game against the Tigers on Saturday afternoon.
"Feeling a lot better," said McCoy, who is expected to begin the season with Triple-A Buffalo. "I was happy that I was able to recover quite quickly, so it's good to get back in there."
McCoy narrowly avoided a major injury during the collision. The incident occurred when a deep fly ball was sent into the gap in right-center field.
Both McCoy and Langerhans attempted to make a play on the ball and ended up running into each other at almost full speed. McCoy was sent flying and remained on the ground for several minutes before he limped off the field under the close eye of Toronto's medical staff.
The crash caused a large gasp from the crowd and all of the Blue Jays that were on the field ran to his aide. Lucky for McCoy and Langerhans, though, the two didn't knock heads and the only damage could be found on the thigh.
"I was pretty sore but I thought it was going to be a lot tighter than it was because after the bus ride coming home it was pretty tough," McCoy said.
"It was really sore and tight so I iced it all night, and it seemed to be all right in the morning. I was just trying to get over the impact of running and stuff, and it's starting to feel a lot better."
McCoy has spent parts of the past three seasons in Toronto. He is a career .190 hitter with a .273 on-base percentage and has the ability to play every position except catcher and first base.
The 31-year-old is currently blocked by fellow utilityman Mark DeRosa but could be called up at some point this season if there's an injury.