08/30/12 7:58 PM ET
Recovery moving at steady pace for d'Arnaud
By Chris Toman / MLB.com
The catcher, ranked as Toronto's No. 1 prospect by MLB.com, has performed all baseball activities, and the club is happy with his progress.
"There have been no setbacks," manager John Farrell said. "It was basic rest and healing that was needed.
"The fact that he has also included baseball activities [means] he's on a satisfactory path toward recovery."
The 23-year-old d'Arnaud has been running on a treadmill and sprinting on flat ground, and has also participated in batting practice.
He had been slated to play in the Arizona Fall League but was not on the rosters that were announced on Wednesday. There's still a possibility he could go -- the big obstacle now is that he's not game-ready.
"I don't know if he is ready to get down there in a squat," Farrell said.
d'Arnaud hit .333 with 16 home runs and 52 RBIs in 67 games with the Las Vegas 51s prior to being injured.
Bautista gets 411 on surgery from Rays' Fuld
TORONTO -- Thursday marks Jose Bautista's last day with the Blue Jays before he travels to Cleveland to meet Dr. Thomas Graham, who will perform season-ending surgery on his left wrist on Tuesday.
Bautista, who is expected to be ready for Spring Training, sustained a similar injury to that of Rays outfielder Sam Fuld, who was also operated on by Graham, and the two spoke at length after Bautista's latest setback.
Fuld sustained his injury last September and elected for offseason rehab before going under the knife right before the start of the 2012 season after reinjuring himself in a Spring Training game.
"[Bautista] was just curious about the whole procedure and how I felt coming off the surgery, and I just told him, really, it's been great," Fuld said. "Other than occasional soreness, I really don't even think about my wrist when I'm out there.
"I couldn't have asked for any better results from the surgery -- knock on wood -- and that's what I told him. I think he's worried about, sort of, the stability. At the time before he had made up his mind to do the surgery, he was worried about the stability of the tendon in there, and I said after the surgery it's felt as stable as my good one."
Fuld, who didn't play his first game of the season until July 24, said that the initial time frame for his recovery was four months, but he healed quicker than expected. He said he has regained his full strength and that the slow part during the rehab process was getting his flexibility and range of motion back to where it was.
"I think the main thing is that we all heard great things about Dr. Graham in Cleveland and that he's the hand-wrist guru and his success rate, I think, is off the charts," Fuld said.
Fuld, who sports a visible scar, is confident that he'll never have an issue with the wrist again. He was expecting to experience setbacks along the way, but everything has gone according to plan, for the most part.
He started handling a bat eight weeks after the surgery, and one of the first exercises he did was swinging underwater.
"That just kind of reduces the resistance, and [gives you] the feel of the bat in your hands," he said.
He started taking dry swings by week nine or 10, and by week 11 or 12 was taking part in batting practice.
Fuld said that the operation is a little different from what it used to be, as the sheath -- what both he and Bautista injured -- that holds the tendon in place is now anchored to the bone, which is also shaved down.
"The tendon sits in a little groove," Fuld said. "[Dr. Graham] actually flattened that groove out. Then he anchored the sheath down on it."
In the past, surgeons tried to deepen the groove.
"He's had nothing but great results from that." Fuld said.
Bautista sustained the injury during a swing in New York on July 16. He came back last weekend, but the discomfort resurfaced.
The three-time All-Star finishes his campaign with a .241 average, 27 homers, 65 RBIs and an .886 OPS in 92 games.
Frasor, Arencibia closer to returning to Jays
TORONTO -- The Blue Jays are likely to welcome a couple of familiar faces in September.
Reliever Jason Frasor, who hasn't pitched since July 16, is scheduled to throw in a rehab game with Class A Dunedin on Thursday, and if all goes well, he will rejoin the big league club on Saturday, when rosters expand.
"It's likely he will come to us after this outing, provided there are no setbacks," manager John Farrell said. "Every throwing session he has had has been a positive one. He has bounced back, and he feels good about himself physically."
Frasor was forced to the disabled list with inflammation in his right forearm, a condition he had pitched through for a while before informing the team.
Farrell also expects catcher J.P. Arencibia, who fractured his right hand in late July, to return shortly thereafter. The team is targeting Sept. 10, but he could come back earlier.
"We don't have a definite date [for] his return, but he's making solid progress," Farrell said.
Arencibia has begun hitting off a tee and taking soft toss, and he has also been catching balls thrown from a machine to get his legs back in shape.
Before returning to the Blue Jays, Arencibia could catch for one of Toronto's Minor League affiliates that made the playoffs, such as Dunedin and Class A Advanced Lansing.
In the meantime the Blue Jays are likely to call up utility man Yan Gomes, who will serve as the third catcher.
As far as other September callups go, Farrell said that the team is looking to add three or four pitchers and that the players likely to be promoted have already been with the team at some point this season.
Outfielder Anthony Gose will be one of those players; pitchers Brett Cecil, Chad Beck and Evan Crawford could be among the pitchers who get the call.
Chris Toman is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.