© 2007 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

05/14/07 11:52 PM ET

Halladay no stranger to fluke injuries

Jays starter visits clubhouse after Friday appendectomy

TORONTO -- No one will question the heart of Toronto's starter Roy Halladay. The ace of the Toronto rotation is as passionate about baseball as anybody in the Major Leagues. He's a student of the game who takes a workmanlike approach to each of his starts. His conditioning routines are second to none, yet for some reason the right-hander can't seem to catch a break when it comes to fluke injuries.

On Friday, Halladay was diagnosed with acute appendicitis and was told by doctors that he would need to have his appendix surgically removed. He underwent surgery later that day and is expected to be out 4-to-6 weeks. On Monday afternoon, he made his first visit to the Jays clubhouse since undergoing the medical procedure.

Halladay's competitive nature made going under the knife that much tougher.

"When you're going in, it's tough to feel like you're doing the right thing," Halladay said. "You always feel like maybe I can take something and continue to maybe get over it some other way."

After finding out the seriousness of the injury, though, Halladay didn't have much choice. He was battling what he thought were flu-like symptoms for about a week prior to the diagnosis. He was taking antibiotics but Halladay says as soon as he went off of them, his appendix swelled up. The effects started getting worse after his start on Thursday night versus the Red Sox, but it wasn't until the following day that he realized something was seriously wrong.

"After the game I felt some twitching," Halladay said. "It wasn't painful, but next morning I felt some sharp pain."

He's been told by doctors to avoid any kind of strenuous activity for at least two weeks. In the meantime, Halladay is allowed to do some light exercises such as riding an exercise bike to stay as fit as possible. He says baseball activities will take a little bit longer.

"As far as throwing a ball, they said about four-to-five days after [the surgery]," Halladay said. "Maybe light catch. I can kind of get things going and maintain as much as I can. I think after two weeks, it's really about how you feel and how things feel."

This is the second major freak injury that Halladay has suffered over the past three seasons. In 2005, Halladay missed the last three months of the season with a broken leg after he was hit by a line drive off the bat of Rangers outfielder Kevin Mench.

"I'm not a big self pity guy but it's definitely frustrating," Halladay said. "I'm due for a couple of years of not having to deal with this."

Since it's not an arm injury, Halladay is hoping that when the two weeks are up he will be able to start working his way back into the rotation quickly. For now, though, Halladay will have to be patient and listen to the doctor's orders.

"Just be as smart as I can," said Halladay, referring to how he will resist the urge to try and come back too early. "I think I understand now, that the more I take care of it early on, the quicker [recovery is] going to be. So, I think it's just a matter of trying to pace myself

Gregor Chisholm is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.