Pipeline Preview: Hanson, Judge highlight Minors slate
Pirates' No. 5 prospect, Yankees' No. 9 among streaking hitters to watch Thursday
Altoona concludes its four-game series against Harrisburg on Thursday, and no one is likely to be sorrier to see the Senators leave town than shortstop Alen Hanson. The Pirates' No. 5 prospect started the season hitting .204 in 13 games but has found his groove against the Nationals' Double-A affiliate.
Hanson, No. 65 on MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects list has broken out against Harrisburg with three straight multi-hit games and seven runs.
In the series finale, which can be seen on MiLB.TV at 6:30 p.m. ET, Hanson will have to face left-hander Matt Purke, the Nationals' No. 6 prospect, who will be trying to bounce back from his own disappointing start. Purke will be trying to prevent Altoona from sweeping the four-game set.
While Hanson looks to stay hot in Altoona, Aaron Judge, the Yankees' No. 9 prospect, will be trying to extend his successful start to the season for Class A Charleston. Judge has four straight multi-hit games and will attempt to stretch that streak as Charleston opens a four-game series at Delmarva. Judge, who was picked 32nd overall in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft, is 9-for-14 with four walks and seven runs in his past four games.
Leading the slate of pitchers in Minor League action Thursday is right-hander Kohl Stewart, the Twins' No. 4 prospect and No. 38 overall. Other pitchers ranked on MLB.com's Top 100 prospects list scheduled to start Thursday are right-handers Mike Foltynewicz (No. 52), Braden Shipley (No. 75) and Rafael Montero (No. 83). Fans can see Foltynewicz and Montero on MiLB.TV at 8:05 p.m. and 10:05 p.m., respectively.
Top prospect probables
- Martin Agosta (Giants No. 13), San Jose vs. Visalia
- Chris Anderson (Dodgers No. 5), Rancho Cucamonga at High Desert
- Tyler Anderson (Rockies No. 10), Tulsa at Arkansas
- Jonathan Crawford (Tigers No. 5), West Michigan vs. Bowling Green
- Anthony DeSclafani (Marlins No. 6), Jacksonville vs. Montgomery
- Cody Dickson (Pirates No. 19), West Virginia vs. Hagerstown
- Mike Foltynewicz (Astros No. 6), Oklahoma City vs. Nashville
- Amir Garret (Reds No. 20), Dayton at South Bend
- Mike Kickham (Giants No. 17), Fresno vs. Albuquerque
- Branden Kline (Orioles No. 16), Frederick vs. Myrtle Beach
- Steven Matz (Mets No. 11), St. Lucie at Palm Beach
- Rafael Montero (Mets No. 2), Las Vegas vs. Tacoma
- Daniel Norris (Blue Jays No. 4), Dunedin vs. Clearwater
- Braulio Ortiz (White Sox No. 19), Winston-Salem at Potomac
- Ariel Pena (Brewers No. 18), Nashville at Oklahoma City
- Matt Purke (Nationals No. 6), Harrisburg at Altoona
- Anthony Ranaudo (Red Sox No. 9), Pawtucket vs. Rochester
- Joe Ross (Padres No. 9), Lake Elsinore at Stockton
- Braden Shipley (D-backs No. 2), South Bend vs. Dayton
- Teddy Stankiewicz (Red Sox No. 18), Greenville vs. Lexington
- Kohl Stewart (Twins No. 4), Cedar Rapids at Peoria
- Mike Wright (Orioles No. 7), Norfolk at Lehigh Valley