TOR@BAL: Dickey leaves early with an apparent injury

NEW YORK -- The Blue Jays have decided to shuffle their rotation and will promote right-hander Liam Hendriks from Triple-A Buffalo to make Friday night's start in Cincinnati.

The start originally belonged to R.A. Dickey, but the veteran knuckleballer has been pushed back two days. He'll pitch in the series finale on Sunday and could use the extra rest after departing his previous outing in the seventh inning because of a groin injury.

The addition of Hendriks also will give Marcus Stroman, Mark Buehrle and Drew Hutchison an extra day between outings as the Blue Jays continue to keep a close eye on the overall workload of their starting rotation.

"We think it's important to protect that rotation a little bit," manager John Gibbons said. "[Hendriks] will come along, he pitched well for us in a couple of outings earlier in the year. Hopefully, he gives us a boost too. He'll be here for one start and he'll go back [to Buffalo], and it will give those guys an extra breather."

The new alignment will see left-hander J.A. Happ will make his scheduled start on Saturday. Stroman will face the Yankees at home on Monday with Buehrle and Hutchison to follow in that three-game series.

Hendriks was the obvious choice after he came through for the Blue Jays in a pair of starts earlier this season. He gave up a lot of hard-hit balls, but he allowed three runs over 11 2/3 innings, which equates to a 2.31 ERA. In 12 games for Buffalo, Hendriks is a perfect 6-0 with a 1.92 ERA with 54 strikeouts in 70 1/3 innings.

"He was going to come anyway, depending on what day he was going to throw," Gibbons said when asked if Hendriks' promotion was because of Dickey's injury. "If Dickey went [Friday], he was going to go on Sunday ... (Dickey) came out of the game with a groin, it makes sense to give him a day or two."

Santos enjoying success upon return to 'pen

TOR@CLE: Santos works out close save

NEW YORK -- Sergio Santos passed his first big test since returning from the 15-day disabled list by pitching a pair of scoreless innings on back-to-back days earlier this week.

Santos received a well-deserved day off on Thursday after making appearances during each of Toronto's first two games in the series at Yankee Stadium. It was the type of heavy workload that Santos wasn't able to go through in his rehab assignment because the Blue Jays needed him back sooner than originally anticipated.

The good news is that Santos' velocity didn't drop after pitching on consecutive days and he has some positive outings to build upon after struggling earlier this year before going on the disabled list with a forearm injury.

"That was good to see," manager John Gibbons said prior to the series finale. "The original plan before he came back, he was going to throw on that Saturday and Sunday and then we called him back. So, we wanted to get him back-to-back games to see how he felt. So that was big. You won't see him tonight, but he's looked good."

The plan during Spring Training was to have Santos as the primary setup man for closer Casey Janssen. Santos was then forced into a ninth-inning role when Janssen was unable to start the year because of an oblique injury, but Santos quickly fell down the depth chart after blowing three saves in the span of two weeks.

By the time Santos was placed on the disabled list during the middle of May, he was without a defined role. That appears to still be the case as Santos could pitch anywhere from the fifth inning until the eighth depending on the situation.

"I don't know where he ends up, but he just makes us stronger down there," Gibbons said. "With [Dustin] McGowan, with [Aaron] Loup, we can go any way. If we need somebody in the sixth inning. Loupy, he's probably as versatile as anyone in the game, so you can pitch him anywhere. He's durable."

Delabar makes quick return with Cecil's injury

TOR@PIT: Delabar induces groundout to preserve lead

NEW YORK -- Steve Delabar's stint in the Minor Leagues was so brief that it came to an end before it even really started.

Delabar was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday, but he returned to the big league club two days later when left-hander Brett Cecil was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained groin.

Delabar, a right-hander, didn't even have time to report to the Bisons before he hopped back on a plane to join his teammates for their series finale at Yankee Stadium.

"We knew, depending on Cecil, there was a chance if something happened to Cecil, he might be the guy," manager John Gibbons said.

The decision to go with Delabar means that Aaron Loup is the only left-hander available out of the bullpen. The club could have instead gone with someone like Rob Rasmussen, who had a brief stint with the Blue Jays earlier in the year, but it decided to go with the experience.

The lack of lefties becomes a little less problematic because Delabar has fared better against those hitters this season. Left-handed batters are hitting .118 with a .420 OPS against Delabar compared to a .264 average and .903 OPS by righties.

"That's how it is, you've got Rasmussen down there, he's got very little experience," Gibbons said.

Expos big part of Canadian HOF weekend

Wallach on entry into Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame

NEW YORK -- The Expos will be front and center during the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame's annual induction weekend that runs Thursday through Sunday.

Former Montreal third baseman Tim Wallach, general manager Murray Cook and legendary broadcaster Dave Van Horne will be honored during a ceremony on Saturday in St. Mary's, Ontario. Former Canadian national team coach Jim Ridley also will be inducted posthumously.

The induction ceremony will take place at 1 p.m. ET on the Hall of Fame grounds and is just one component of the four-day event. There was a celebrity slo-pitch game on Thursday, a golf tournament on Friday, and a Blue Jays Super Camp for kids on Saturday and Sunday.

"Thanks to the efforts of our volunteers and sponsors, we've been able to add even more events to our induction festivities this year," Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame director of operations Scott Crawford said in a statement. "There's truly something for everyone during the four days of activities. I'm very proud to honour the careers of four worthy inductees who, each in their own way, have made a permanent imprint on baseball in this country."

Wallach is the Expos all-time leader in multiple categories including games played (1,767), hits (1,694), doubles (360), RBI (905) and total bases (2,728). He also ranks third all-time amongst Expos in runs (737) and fourth in home runs (204).

Van Horne is a current broadcaster for the Marlins, but fans north of the border will always remember him most for his time in Montreal. Van Horne started calling games for the Expos in 1969 and continued working in the city until the end of the 2000 season. The most memorable call from his 32 seasons arguably came when Dennis Martinez tossed a perfect game on July 28, 1991, which prompted Van Horne to say "El Presidente, El Perfecto!"

Cook was named Montreal's GM on Sept. 5, 1984. He drafted left-hander Randy Johnson, signed Martinez and rebuilt the Expos organization into a contender during his three years.

Romero out for season following leg surgery

TB@TOR: Romero strikes out Shaffer

NEW YORK -- Blue Jays left-hander Ricky Romero will miss the rest of the season after undergoing left leg surgery earlier this week.

Romero, who was pitching for Triple-A Buffalo, had inflammation cleaned out in his quadriceps tendon. The procedure was performed on Tuesday by Dr. Neal ElAttrache at the Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles.

The recovery time is approximately six months and the hope is that Romero will be able to participate in next year's Spring Training. Romero is under contract for another season at $7.5 million.

Romero has been dealing with knee issues for the past two seasons. He had platelet enrichment treatment (PRP) during the offseason, but the discomfort continued to linger and likely is something Romero will have to deal with the rest of his career.

The 29-year-old Romero is the former ace of the Blue Jays' pitching staff, but he has fallen on hard times the past three years. He had an 0-3 record with a 5.50 ERA and 42 walks in 37 2/3 innings for the Bisons this season.

Worth noting

TOR@NYY: Lawrie gets hit on the hand by Whitley

Adam Lind was held out of the Blue Jays' starting lineup on Thursday night, but he did get into the game as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning. Lind grounded out to second base with a pair of runners on in his only at-bat. It marked the first time Lind appeared in a game since he fouled a ball off his right foot on Saturday in Baltimore.

The veteran designated hitter is expected to be available as a pinch-hitter this weekend in Cincinnati as the Blue Jays play a three-game Interleague series. Edwin Encarnacion will continue to receive all of the starts at first base.

Brett Lawrie wasn't in the starting lineup one day after he was struck on his left hand on a pitch from Chase Whitley on Wednesday. Lawrie also is considered day to day and is expected to make his return this weekend in Cincinnati. Juan Francisco got the start at third base while second base duties went to Steve Tolleson for Thursday's series finale.