OAK@LAA: Gray strikes out three in scoreless relief

TORONTO -- Just a couple of weeks removed from his big league debut, righty Sonny Gray is back with the A's -- this time in the rotation.

Oakland's 2011 first-round Draft pick will make his much anticipated first big league start on Saturday in Toronto, and manager Bob Melvin made it clear this is not a spot start.

"He's in until he's out," Melvin said.

Gray has made two relief appearances for the A's, one before the All-Star break, on July 10 in Pittsburgh, and another after, on July 19 against the Angels, and pitched two scoreless innings in each, allowing only one hit and striking out three in each outing.

The 25-year-old was optioned shortly after his second appearance, at which point he resumed starting duties with Triple-A Sacramento.

"His two outings were very impressive, and we felt regardless of how we used him," Melvin said, "it was a good idea to get him to the big leagues and get his feet wet before potentially this type of start for him. It kept our options open, and once he went back down he continued starting. He got his pitch count up to where we felt comfortable for him to go out there with no limitations."

Gray, the A's third-ranked propect by MLB.com, takes the rotation spot of lefty Tommy Milone, whose recent struggles led to a demotion to Sacramento last week. Milone made his River Cats debut on Thursday, allowing two runs on eight hits with one walk and seven strikeouts in five innings.

When asked if there was a plan for when Milone might rejoin the team, Melvin said, "Not at this moment."

In strange twist, Rosales back where he started

LAA@OAK: Rosales makes an impressive diving stop

TORONTO -- Following a brief wardrobe change, infielder Adam Rosales is wearing green and gold again.

Designated for assignment by the A's last week and subsequently claimed off waivers by the Rangers -- only to be designated by Texas days later -- the versatile Rosales was claimed off waivers by the A's on Thursday, leading to a reunion on Friday in Toronto. He was a late-inning replacement in the 14-6 win and grounded out in his only at-bat.

"It's been surreal, a whirlwind," Rosales said. "I'm just trying to be patient. It's a crazy game. I hate to be in this position, to be bouncing back and forth and not really knowing where you're going to be the next day. We'll just see where we go from here now."

With the A's needing a roster spot on Saturday for starter Sonny Gray, it's quite possible Rosales will be designated again, a scenario he's thought about. Still, he said, "whatever happens, happens."

"I just kind of put my head down and go," he said. "I just want to play a game."

Rosales hasn't done that since July 30 with the A's, since he never made an appearance with the Rangers.

"We were hoping to send him over to get their signs, and now we have them, so now we have him back," manager Bob Melvin joked. "He's happy to be back in the organization, and we're happy to have him back. We were hoping to sneak him through and not have him claimed. He was, so once he became available again, it was an easy claim for us."

"Right away, I had a feeling," Rosales said. "They always seemed to respect me, and the way I play the game, and they've always said that, and I've always trusted that."

Though Rosales is in Toronto, most of his belongings -- including his car -- are not. Those arrived in Texas on Thursday night. His wife, Callie, is back in the Bay Area.

"We're limited on clothing," he said, smiling.

The A's optioned right-hander Evan Scribner for assignment to make room for Rosales.

Worth noting

Alberto Callaspo, who exited Wednesday's game in Cincinnati with a left forearm contusion, was deemed good to go with no limitations on Friday, though he wasn't in the starting lineup. He entered in the ninth as a defensive replacement.

• A's lefty Brett Anderson (right foot) will pitch in simulated games on Saturday and Tuesday, and there's no telling yet if a rehab start would be next -- or if he'll even need one, since he'll already have built his pitch count to around 80.

"Depending on how things go in between, we'll probably keep our options open," Melvin said, "but you always do want to get him in game action, real games other than simulated games."

• Catcher John Jaso (concussion) continues to improve, but, according to Melvin, "not to the point where they're comfortable having him do baseball activities."

Jaso had a .415 on-base percentage in the 16 games before he was placed on the seven-day disabled list on July 25.

"He's obviously a guy we rely on, and hit high up in the order for us and got on base and had some key hits for us, and every now and then hit one out of the ballpark," Melvin said. "He's a guy we expected to be a major contributor offensively, and we do miss him. Losing him has hurt some."