CHICAGO -- The pure stuff shown by John Danks during Wednesday's 40-pitch bullpen session was good enough in the left-hander's estimation to retire opposing hitters.

"This was leaps and bounds from where we were just last time," said Danks, who threw a bullpen session on Sunday in testing his left shoulder strain that put him on the disabled list retroactive to May 20. "It felt good. I threw all four pitches pain-free for strikes, and I'm ready to go.

"I was throwing the ball where I was trying to throw it, and making it do what I wanted it to do. It has been a good day."

Next up for Danks will be a Minor League rehab start next week and if all goes well, he'll back in the White Sox rotation against the Dodgers in Los Angeles or against the Cubs at home. Danks threw all of his pitches on Wednesday, and they simulated a game warm-up with the specific tosses and long toss before hand, not to mention working from the stretch. But Danks needs to go against hitters before he returns fresh and ready for the final 3½ months.

"That's the silver lining we try to focus on," said Danks of the rest provided by the disabled list trip. "You don't go into the year hoping to miss time. But if we have to miss some time, I guess middle of the season would be the time to do it. Hopefully we can go pain-free and healthy the rest of the way."

Konerko out following wrist procedure

CHICAGO -- Paul Konerko missed his second straight game following a Tuesday evening procedure to flush out a floating bone fragment in his left wrist.

Konerko, 36, underwent this same procedure last year at almost the same exact time of the season, and missed two games at that point also. But he was not bothered by the bone chip for the remainder of the 2011 campaign.

The chip itself was not flushed completely out of the wrist, but basically moved to a less painful spot, as Konerko tried to explain in detail before Wednesday's contest.

"When you bend your wrist, there's a joint there that hinges," Konerko said. "Somehow, when it hinges open, this thing slides in sometimes and we just get it out. It's not too far away from it, that's the thing; you can only move it. But it's just out.

"Last year, when we had it done, it was almost to the day. It was June 3 last year, and yesterday was June 5. It was good the rest of the year. It just hung out and never got in there again. That's what we're hoping here."

This procedure took place at Rush University Medical Center and took about 20 painful minutes, by Konerko's recollection. Although the wrist should be close to normal again, Konerko said there's a soreness price to pay over the next day or two from the needles being put in the joint so the fluid can be shot to flush out the chip.

When Konerko returned to U.S. Cellular Field on Tuesday night, he felt good and ready to play. Once the numbing agent in the wrist wore off, he knew that particular goal wasn't going to be fulfilled.

It was during Monday's off-day when the chip moved back into the joint, and when Konerko couldn't swing the bat normally during batting practice on Tuesday, he had to make the call to get it fixed. Konerko plans to get the chip surgically removed during the offseason "so we don't have this problem again," with it bothering him basically since 2008. For now, he's hoping to return on Thursday, and by Friday's series opener against Houston for sure.

"We felt pretty confident yesterday that it was out," said Konerko, who was replaced by Tyler Flowers at first base Wednesday. "We could see it, and I could feel that it wasn't restricting me anymore. But now all the soreness comes from going in there like that. It's just a matter of getting the soreness out."

Fukudome could land on disabled list

CHICAGO -- The soreness in Kosuke Fukudome's right side that caused him to leave Sunday's game had not really improved, according to White Sox manager Robin Ventura. If Fukudome remains unable to execute any baseball activities, the White Sox could place the veteran on the disabled list retroactive to Sunday.

Jordan Danks and Dan Johnson would be candidates for a call-up from Triple-A Charlotte. The White Sox outrighted infielder Ozzie Martinez before Wednesday's game, reducing their 40-man roster total to 37.