CINCINNATI -- Yunel Escobar's contract extension won't have an impact on top prospect Adeiny Hechavarria, according to Blue Jays manager Alex Anthopoulos.
Hechavarria was considered Toronto's shortstop of the future before Escobar was acquired from the Braves in July of 2010.
Escobar signed a two-year extension worth $10-million on Sunday afternoon, but the deal also has two club options that could keep him with the organization until 2015.
That could have put Hechavarria's future role with the club in jeopardy, but Anthopoulos said his team can never have too much depth.
"There's no effect, because Hechavarria is a highly-touted prospect and we believe in him," Anthopoulos said. "But there's no downside to having too many good players. I always say things will find a way to work themselves out, and especially when you have a middle of the diamond player.
- 131 wins
- 121 wins
"A middle infielder like that, those guys can play anywhere on the infield. Obviously, Adeiny can play anywhere because of his skills and his defensive abilities."
Hechavarria is in the middle of his second season with Toronto's Minor League system. He is playing with Double-A New Hampshire, and has proven himself to be an elite defensive player -- but is still trying to work things out at the plate.
The 22-year-old is hitting just .233 with four home runs and 26 RBIs. He also has 17 doubles and 14 stolen bases on the season.
Hechavarria still has plenty of room for improvement, and Anthopoulos said it's too early to know when he would be ready for the Major Leagues.
"He's still developing, he's still a young player," Anthopoulos said. "Yunel has the potential to be here for four years beyond this year, so you're looking at a five-year period. With a guy like Adeiny, he's in New Hampshire, so I don't know what his timeline is going to be.
"But as we've seen with a lot of young players, they might get up to the big leagues and take another three, four, years beyond that to establish themselves."
Anthopoulos regrets reaction to reports
CINCINNATI -- Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos has some regrets about the way he reacted to rumors surrounding his club's contract negotiations with first-round Draft pick Tyler Beede.
Anthopoulos lashed out earlier this week at reports his club negotiated a deal with Beede prior to the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.
"It's ridiculous," Anthopoulos told the National Post on Wednesday. "It's a joke. I'm amazed at all the false rumors about everything. I'm just sick of reading lies and rumors that people make up about us all the time. I've had enough of it."
The outspoken comments were out of character for Anthopoulos, who has made it a club policy not to discuss rumors with the media.
Anthopoulos said he regretted his momentary lapse in judgement, but said it still angers him that some media outlets accused Toronto of breaking Major League rules with suggestions of a pre-Draft deal.
"I don't like insinuations that we break rules, that's where I felt things crossed the line," Anthopoulos said. "If you want to speculate that so-and-so is on the block, or this free agent is being signed, it's going to happen.
"But, the same way, if you're going to accuse a player of using performance-enhancing drugs, that's a significant offense."
Toronto selected the 18-year-old Beede with the 21st overall selection in the Draft. It marked the second consecutive year the Blue Jays selected a starting pitcher with their first overall selection.
Snider diagnosed with a concussion
CINCINNATI -- Left fielder Travis Snider has been diagnosed with a concussion.
The 23-year-old was struck by a pitch on the bill of his helmet during a game on Friday night while playing for Triple-A Las Vegas.
Snider was set to undergo a neurological examination on Sunday, and a timetable for his return is still unknown.
The native of Washington began the season with the Blue Jays, but was optioned to the Minor Leagues to work on his swing mechanics.
Snider is hitting .324 with two home runs and 27 RBIs in 46 games with Las Vegas.