TORONTO -- Brett Lawrie's season came to an end after the third baseman fractured his right middle finger on Wednesday afternoon.

Lawrie suffered the injury while fielding ground balls prior to Wednesday night's game against the Angels. The ball took a bad bounce on the Rogers Centre Astroturf and hit Lawrie's bare hand.

The native of Langley, British Columbia, went for X-rays, which revealed the non-displaced fracture and resulted in him being placed on the 15-day disabled list.

"I was turning double plays, my top hand was down just to kind of guide the ball in, and the ball kind of took a funny hop at the last second," Lawrie said. "It kind of jumped in, when my hand was fully stiff, and it kind of just jammed my middle finger."

Blue Jays manager John Farrell estimated that the recovery time will be approximately four-to-six weeks. It's not expected to cause any delay to Lawrie's offseason schedule, as players typically use a similar time frame to recuperate from the long season.

It's the second time this year Lawrie suffered a broken bone in one of his hands. In early June, while still playing for Triple-A Las Vegas, Lawrie suffered a fractured left hand when he was hit by a pitch.

The pain and swelling isn't nearly as bad this time around, and the X-ray results caught him by surprise.

"I didn't think anything of it, and then we put it under the X-ray machine and sure enough there was something in there," Lawrie said. "I didn't really think there was going to be, just because I had hurt my hand a little while ago when I hit it on the roof of the dugout, and it kind of felt the same. But I guess, obviously not."

The 21-year-old Lawrie was originally listed in Toronto's lineup for Wednesday night. The late scratch caused Edwin Encarnacion to move from designated hitter to third base while David Cooper was inserted into the lineup at DH.

Lawrie finished his rookie campaign with a .293 average, nine home runs and 25 RBIs in 43 games.

Carreno impressing out of 'pen since callup

TORONTO -- Right-hander Joel Carreno is one of the late-season callups that has caught the attention of Blue Jays manager John Farrell.

Carreno has allowed just two earned runs in 13 2/3 innings out of the bullpen since his promotion in late August. His ability to throw strikes and attack hitters from both sides of the plate has resulted in the early success.

September is usually the time for teams that aren't in contention for a playoff spot to evaluate what type of young talent they have. Carreno's abilities on the mound have helped him make a case for being in Toronto's plans in 2012 and beyond.

"The guy that continues to impress is Carreno," Farrell said. "Not just with the numbers he's got, but his poise, his confidence, his looseness on the mound. He has done an excellent job for the time that he has been here.

"He's got good life to his fastball. It's average Major League velocity, but it's above average movement."

Carreno has used an effective slider to limit the opposition. Right-handers are batting .179 (5-for-28) against him this season, and while lefties are batting .273 (6-for-22), they have just one extra-base hit in eight games.

The 24-year-old came up through the Minor League system as a starting pitcher, but so far he has pitched exclusively out of the bullpen in Toronto. Farrell didn't rule out a possible switch back to a starting role in future years, but for now he likes what the Dominican native has been able to accomplish as a reliever.

"He's excelled in the role that he's in," Farrell said. "I know it's a short look, it's a small sample size, however you want to describe it. But there's a very successful path that pitchers have transitioned to the big leagues through the bullpen, and then have moved into the rotation from that point forward.

"Don't want to ever limit the potential of him going back into that role, but I think just for the time being we'll not look to disrupt anything that has been very positive for him at the moment."

Farrell has no plans to alter rotation

TORONTO -- The Blue Jays do not expect to make any changes to their starting rotation before the end of the season.

Last year, Toronto was forced to shut down right-hander Brandon Morrow in September because of an innings limit. The same situation doesn't apply this year, as everyone is on pace to close out the season and make their final starts.

"There isn't any innings threshold that we're knocking at the door at, that we're going to intentionally pull a guy out of his start," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "If something happens between now and this next time through, these next five days, we may look to alter that. But at this point, we're looking to stay as is."

Right-hander Kyle Drabek would be the first option if a starter suffers an injury in the final week of the season. Drabek began the year in the rotation but was eventually sent down to Triple-A Las Vegas after some early-season struggles.

Drabek returned to the club on Sept. 5 and has been pitching out of the bullpen. He had two positive outings before hitting a bit of a wall on Tuesday night against the Angels. The 23-year-old allowed six runs in three innings, but Farrell said there will still be more opportunities heading his way.

"Leaving on a positive note is what our goal was with September," Farrell said. "He's going to get more opportunities, he's going to go back out there. Yeah, the first inning last night was not a good one for him, but we also don't just look back at the first two appearances where he threw the ball well."